Thursday, 2 April 2009

of bricks and walls

envelope house #01

Those of you who know me will know that I am a collector. I will collect anything, from pretty pebbles and pretty ribbons to souvenir pencils and beer mats. It's something I have always done and have no plans so stop doing.

Around the same time that I started drawing my Happy Packaging characters on used envelopes, I started to take more notice of the patterns on the inside of them. I started a collection of carefully cut and flattened envelope paper, putting them aside and using them in future projects. About a month ago, a particular design caught my eye: tiny brickwork. I was inspired to put the paper to a different kind of use and make this little house.

A couple of pictures of it are on my Flickr to give you more of an idea of how small it actually is. It exists for no other reason than that I just saw the tiny brickwork and thought of a tiny house...

I know I've mentioned it before, but used envelopes really are a fantastic free art resource.

5 comments:

Nicole said...

wow!! this is super tiny but so adorable!!!!

Swirlyarts said...

Oh this is fantastic! I always save beautiful patterned envelopes too but I mainly re-use mine to make gift tags.

Melissa of {craftgasm} said...

Oh my, how cute! I just make my security envelopes into inside out envelopes and the base for button drawings, but this is too sweet! I will have to start looking at them in a different light now. :)

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

That is so, SO cute! I love it!

Nueyer said...

This is SO COOL!!